Skip to main content
Please contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections for assistance with accessing these materials.

4.13 Other Houses, 1774 - 1993

 Sub-Series

Scope and Contents

This subseries contains published and unpublished materials from Houses whose extant records are primarily held by other repositories. Some of the papers in this subseries were selected for inclusion in the Maryland Province Archives by Jesuit archivists and scholars to support research for specific activities, articles, and projects undertaken by members. This subseries also contains correspondence between the Rectors of Jesuit colleges (including Loyola College of Baltimore and Woodstock College) and the Rectors of Georgetown University. In other cases, fragments of records such as account books, pew rent books, and published serial sets have been retained within the Maryland Province Archives.

The Houses, along with their dates of establishment and closure, are as follows:

- Baltimore, Maryland, established 1820. Records of this House include Litterae Annuae, Historia Domus, St. Joseph’s Church (Baltimore) pew rent book, St. Ignatius Church (Baltimore) pew rent book, sodality statements, and materials (primarily ephemera) related to Loyola College (Baltimore).

- Boston, Massachusetts, established 1847. Records of this House include Litterae Annuae, Historia Domus, Church of the Immaculate Conception (Boston) documents, St. Mary’s Church (Boston) account book, pamphlets, newsclippings.

- Deer Creek (Harford County), Maryland, established 1773, closed 1814. Records include manuscript histories.

- Maine, established and closed 1829 to 1830, and again from 1848 to 1859. Record includes a Penobscot fable by Virgil Barber, S.J.

- Manresa Institute, located in West Park, Ulster County, N.Y., from 1876-1885, and at Keyser Island, South Norwalk, Connecticut from 1889-1950. Records include monthly statements and correspondence, mostly with the Rectors of Georgetown University, 1890-1940.

- Manresa-on-Severn, Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, established 1926 and closed 1995. Materials include serial publications, photographs, and ephemera of the League of Laymen’s Retreats.

- New York, from 1814 to 1818, and again from 1846 to the present. Materials include a subscription list for an orphanage, manuscript histories, publications, a scrapbook from the College of St. Ignatius Inisfada, and diaries from the St. Rene Goupil residence in New York City.

- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, established 1747. Records include Litterae Annuae, Historia Domus, financial records (for St. John’s the Evangelist Church, Church of the Immaculate Conception, and St. Mary’s Church), materials related to St. John’s Burial Ground, and materials related to St. Joseph’s College.

- Scranton, Pennsylvania, established 1942. Records include materials related to the University of Scranton.

- Wernersville (Berks County), Pennsylvania, established 1930. Materials include Litterae Annuae and publications.

- Wheeling, West Virginia, established 1954. Materials related to Wheeling College.

- Woodstock (Howard County), Maryland, established 1869 and closed 1969 (after which it briefly moved to New York City).. Materials related to Woodstock College.

- Worcester, Massachusetts, established 1843.. Materials related to the College of Holy Cross.

**Please note: the finding aid contains Scope and Contents notes for each folder. This folder-level description has been imported from an older finding aid. Researchers may encounter outdated or potentially offensive terminology and occasional inaccuracies. If you would like to notify Special Collections of any issues that need correcting, please contact us.**

Conditions Governing Access

Most materials dated 1900 and later have not been digitized. Materials dating 1900-1939 are available for research use at the Booth Family Center for Special Collections. All materials dated 1940 and later are restricted.

Provenance and Arrangement

Materials are arranged alphabetically by location. Materials in this subseries are from the original MPA placed on deposit at Georgetown in the 1970s, the MPA Addenda, and the Maryland Province Collection.

Dates

  • 1774 - 1993

Extent

From the Collection: 292 boxes (292 total boxes, plus 14 card catalog drawers (201 regular boxes, 25 oversized boxes, 53 restricted regular boxes, 13 restricted oversized boxes, 14 card catalog drawers))

Language of Materials

From the Collection: Multiple languages