Oak Ridge Master Plan Collection
Scope and Contents
The collections consists of the "Report to the Atomic Energy Commission. The Master Plan, Oak Ridge, Tennessee" and the "Report to the Atomic Energy Commission the Preliminary Master Plan, Oak Ridge, Tennessee. New York, Chicago, San - Francisco: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill for the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, 1948."
Also includes photographs and the resume of William R. Ewald, Jr., who was a writer and researcher on this project for Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
Dates
- Creation: 1948 - 1974
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Researchers are solely responsible for determining the copyright status of the materials being used, establishing who the copyright owner is, locating the copyright owner, and obtaining permission for intended use.
Historical Note
[Background information provided by Johnson Rare Books & Archives at time of purchase]
The preliminary and final master plan for the expansion of Oak Ridge, Tennessee, also known as Atomic City, a community built by the U.S. government under the cloak of secrecy beginning in 1942. Oak Ridge was built to house employees of the Atomic Energy Commission working on the Manhattan Project, the massive wartime effort that produced the world's first atomic weapons. These reports were acquired from the estate of William R. Ewald, Jr., who was a writer and researcher on this project for Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. It is presumed that the pencil annotations are in his hand. Initial estimates for Oak Ridge were 13,000 residents, but the population quickly grew to 45,000 by 1943. At its peak, more than 75,000 people lived in the community, including military leaders and scientists who oversaw the enrichment of uranium for Little Boy, the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan, on August 6, 1945. The master plan called for the creation of a new, still segregated, neighborhood for the African American community, which was expected to grow to 10 percent of the population. Neighborhood 10, which was later named Scarboro Village, was located below the turnpike on the far eastern edge of the city and included housing at a variety of income levels, as well as a new neighborhood elementary school, churches, and outdoor multi-purpose areas. The map in the draft plan had designated a nearby area for an African American park and picnic area, but this verbiage was not included in the final plan.
Extent
0.1 Cubic Feet (2 folders)
Language of Materials
English
Metadata Rights Declarations
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Johnson Rare Books & Archives with the Robert P. Daly, Sr. Endowment Fund.
Processing Information
The collection has been rehoused in an acid-free box and folders.
- Status
- Completed
- Author
- John Zarrillo
- Date
- 2026-04
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- English
- Script of description
- Latin
Repository Details
Part of the Georgetown University Manuscripts Repository
Lauinger Library, 5th Floor
37th and O Streets, N.W.
Washington DC 20057
speccoll@georgetown.edu
