Skip to main content
Please contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections for assistance with accessing these materials.

Theological Studies Journal Records

Identifier: GTM-000623

Scope and Contents

The records of Theological Studies consist predominantly of author-editor correspondence but also include material related to the governance of the journal, events, projected issues, finance, promotion, and a handful of miscellaneous subjects from its earliest days through 1995.


  • 1938 - 1995


Conditions Governing Access

Most manuscripts collections at the Georgetown University Booth Family Center for Special Collections are open to researchers; however, restrictions may apply to some collections. Collections stored off site require a minimum of three days for retrieval. For use of all manuscripts collections, researchers are advised to contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections in advance of any visit.

Conditions Governing Use

Researchers are solely responsible for determining the copyright status of the materials being used, establishing who the copyright owner is, locating the copyright owner, and obtaining permission for intended use.

Historical Note

Theological Studies was founded in 1940 as a journal “issued by the theological faculties of the Society of Jesus in the United States.” At that time the “theological faculties” in question were understood to be the six theological seminaries staffed by US Jesuits: Alma College in California, St. Mary of the Lake in Illinois (for diocesan seminarians), St. Mary’s College in Kansas, West Baden College in Indiana, Weston College in Massachusetts, and Woodstock College in Maryland.

During its first fifty years Theological Studies had only three editors. The first editor was William J. McGarry, SJ, who only two years previously had been appointed president of Boston College. He was “promoted” to be the first editor of the journal that was originally produced at the offices of the weekly America Magazine in New York. McGarry died suddenly only one year later, in 1941. The second editor from 1942 until his death in 1967 was John Courtney Murray, SJ, under whom the editorial offices were moved to the theologate at Woodstock College where he was teaching.

Walter J. Burghardt, SJ, who was managing editor from 1946 to 1967, was Murray’s successor as editor in chief from 1967 to 1990. The journal moved briefly back to Manhattan from 1969 to 1974 and then, after the closing of Woodstock College, moved this time to the “Car Barn” located near Georgetown University. Upon the retirement of Burghardt, the editor’s position was taken by Robert J. Daly, SJ, of Boston College (1991-1995), followed by Michael A. Fahey, SJ (1995-2005), David S. Schultenover, SJ (2005-2015), Paul G. Crowley, SJ (2016-2019), Philip J. Rossi, SJ (2020), and Christopher Steck, SJ (2021-present).

Adapted from "A Brief History" of the Theological Studies Journal


3 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)

Language of Materials


Metadata Rights Declarations

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Received in 2000, exact provenance unknown.

Theological Studies Journal Records
Aleksandra Kinlen
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Georgetown University Manuscripts Repository

Lauinger Library, 5th Floor
37th and O Streets, N.W.
Washington DC 20057