The Irish Manuscripts collection consists of two bound volumes, one sewn signature, and one loose gathering, all held in the Georgetown College archives in the first half of the 19th century, from around 1823. All contain modern manuscripts in the Irish language that were made not much earlier, perhaps in the second half of the 18th century, and all but the sewn signature are written using Irish orthography. One of the volumes is 1/2 bound in leather and patterned boards with label in red skiver that reads "IRISH MANUSCRIPT"; the other is bound in a loosely sewn, rustic leather wrap-around, with similar handwriting and text on the waste-paper visible in the partly exposed boards. There are a variety of sizes and styles of handwriting displayed in all 4 items. Both bound volumes display Riggs Library and Georgetown College stamps near the front and back leaves.
Most manuscripts collections at the Georgetown University Booth Family Center for Special Collections are open to researchers; however, restrictions may apply to some collections. Collections stored off site require a minimum of three days for retrieval. For use of all manuscripts collections, researchers are advised to contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections in advance of any visit.
Researchers are solely responsible for determining the copyright status of the materials being used, establishing who the copyright owner is, locating the copyright owner, and obtaining permission for intended use.
0.5 Cubic Feet (2 clam-shell book boxes)
Immediate source of acquisition unknown.
All items in this collection are quite fragile and should be handled with appropriate care, particularly the bound volumes. There is some slight soiling and wear on the two unbound items. Both bound volumes appear to be missing signatures at the head, and are heavily worn and soiled, interfering with the visibility of the text at the extremities of many pages. The bulk of the texts remain readable, however.
The manuscripts have been rehoused in acid-free containers.
Part of the Georgetown University Manuscripts Repository