This collection is the second accession of materials used by Virginia M. Keeler in writing her Master's thesis on the life and art of Brother Francis C. Schroen, S.J. Brother Schroen painted the decorative artwork throughout Healy Hall on the campus of Georgetown University as one of his many large-scale projects. Keeler, the longtime Secretary of the University, submitted her thesis on April 29, 1989 to the School for Continuing Education at Georgetown. The collection consists of correspondence, photographs, and printed items. The correspondence included in this second accession was received after the completion of Keeler's thesis. The photographs feature Brother Schroen's paintings at Boston College, Georgetown University and Holy Trinity Church in Kingston, Jamaica.
SERIES: 1. Correspondence DESCRIPTION: Incoming and outgoing correspondence of Virginia M. Keeler with enclosures, arranged chronologically.
SERIES: 2. Photographs DESCRIPTION: Photographs arranged by place.
SERIES: 3. Printed Items DESCRIPTION: Printed items regarding Healy Hall.
ABBREVIATIONS: ALS - Autograph Letter Signed TLS - Typed Letter Signed
Most manuscripts collections at the Georgetown University Booth Family Center for Special Collections are open to researchers; however, restrictions may apply to some collections. Collections stored off site require a minimum of three days for retrieval. For use of all manuscripts collections, researchers are advised to contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections in advance of any visit.
Virginia "Ginny" Mary Keeler (1932-2004) began working as Secretary to the President of Georgetown University in 1953, the year she graduated from Chestnut Hill College in Pennsylvania. In 1968 she took on the additional duties of Assistant Secretary of the University, and in 1974 she moved on to the post of Secretary of the University, a position she held until her retirement in 1997. Keeler received the Georgetown Vicennial Medal in 1973 and the Patrick Healy award in 1984. She earned her master's degree in liberal studies in 1990. Keeler died March 16, 2004 and is survived by two brothers, William Cardinal Keeler, Archbishop of Baltimore, and Thomas L. Keeler, Jr., and two sisters, Julia Keeler Graham and Helen Keeler-Lavin.
Brother Francis C. Schroen, S.J. (1857-1924) left Bavaria at age one and moved with his family to Baltimore. From a very early age, Schroen was drawn to the art of painting. This was to become his lifelong career and passion. In 1878 he married Mary Meldick and together the couple had three daughters, two of whom died as young children. After Margaret and Mary were taken by diphtheria, a third daughter was born and named Margaret Mary. Tragedy again struck Schroen's life when his wife died in 1890. Schroen entered the Frederick Jesuit novitiate in 1898 and the following year was invited to Georgetown University to decorate the interior rooms and halls of the Healy Building. He took his final vows as a Jesuit lay brother in 1909 and continued to carry out painting assignments in locations across the nation and world including Boston, Philadelphia, New Orleans and Kingston, Jamaica. Brother Schroen died at Georgetown Hospital on August 9, 1924.
[Biographical Sources: Georgetown University Archives and printed articles from this collection]
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Part of the Georgetown University Manuscripts Repository