Brother Joseph P. Mobberly, SJ (1779-1827; entered October 7, 1807; coadjutor temporal vows, January 2, 1821)
Born on January 12, 1779, probably in Montgomery County, Md., Joseph P. Mobberly (sometimes spelled Mobberley) studied at Georgetown College between 1798 and 1806. With the intention of entering the newly-restored Society of Jesus, in 1806, he accepted an assignment as coadjutor to assist with the management of St. Inigoes, a house and plantation in St. Mary's County, Maryland. By 1809, he became its manager, responsible for the purchase of supplies, sale of crops, and management of its enslaved workers. In 1812, he continued his studies at St. Peter’s and New York Literary Institution. He resumed management of St. Inigoes between 1813 and 1814, during the naval raids of Chesapeake ports during the War of 1812. After a brief stint as a coadjutor at White Marsh, a house and plantation in Prince George's County, Maryland, he became a teacher of English at Georgetown College between 1815 and 1816. He returned to St. Inigoes as its manager in 1816 and ended his tenure in the midst of controversy about his performance in 1820. He then returned to Georgetown College as a teacher of Latin, Greek, and English. In 1821, he took coadjutor temporal vows, accepting his role as an assistant to the Jesuit community in economic rather than spiritual matters. Brother Mobberly taught at Georgetown until his death on September 30, 1827.