Minutes and Proceedings, Membership Meetings (2 of 2), 1795 - 1899
Scope and Contents
This folder consists of the proceedings [minutes (1814-1909)] of the Corporation of Roman Catholic Clergymen (Vol. 2).
Includes discussion of the sale of enslaved people owned by the Jesuits.
**Former finding aid locations: 119_24_2;
This folder contains materials related to Jesuit slaveholding.
"Bohemia affairs": Proceedings of the Corporation of Roman Catholic Clergy, Oct. 9, 1799 [GSA152]
"Money arriving from the Sale of Negroes": Proceedings of the Corporation of Roman Catholic Clergy, Aug. 25, 1795 [GSA155]
Disposal of "Supernumerary" Slaves: Proceedings of the Roman Catholic Clergy, April 25th, 1804 [GSA158]
- 1795 - 1899
Conditions Governing Access
The Maryland Province Archives is on deposit at Georgetown University and is the property of the USA East Province of the Society of Jesus. As stewards of the Archives, the Georgetown University Library’s Booth Family Center for Special Collections is responsible for managing access to the material based on policies set forth by the USA East Province. Researchers may view these materials in the Reading Room of the Booth Family Center for Special Collections. General policies for using Special Collections can be found here.
Access to the Archives is governed by the USA East Province and is subject to all Library and Special Collections policies and procedures in addition to the specific guidelines below. These guidelines are a summary of access policies; the Archives may include materials that fall outside the scope of these general guidelines. For information on access to specific materials, please contact the Special Collections staff.
1. All Archives materials dated or bearing solely on events occurring before January 1, 1940, shall be open for review unless otherwise restricted, subject to Library policies and procedures.
2. All unpublished Archives materials dated or bearing solely on events occurring on or after January 1, 1940, shall be open for review upon request subject to a decision by the Provincial or someone designated by the Provincial.
3. Researchers may quote from the materials.
4. Researchers may take their own photographs of the material for scholarly and research purposes. Allowing photographs is not an authorization to publish or to deposit the material in another library or archive.
5. Written permission from the USA East Province is required for the publication of substantive portions of any material or publication-quality reproductions of any material.
6. Material not yet processed is not available to researchers; permission will not be granted to access any unprocessed material.
7. Audiovisual, microfilm and other material in the Archives, the original of which is held in another archive, may be consulted and transcribed only. Written permission from the archive holding the original material is required for any duplication, reproduction, or publication of that material.
8. Use the Permission Request Form to request permission (i) to access any restricted processed material or (ii) to publish reproductions or quote substantive portions of the material. Send the completed form by email to the Booth Family Center for Special Collections (firstname.lastname@example.org).
From the Collection: 308 boxes (212 regular boxes, 25 oversized boxes, 58 restricted regular boxes, 13 restricted oversized boxes, plus 14 card catalog drawers )
Language of Materials
From the Collection: Multiple languages
Part of the Georgetown University Manuscripts Repository
Lauinger Library, 5th Floor
37th and O Streets, N.W.
Washington DC 20057