The James T. Clements' Sons Funeral Home Records consist of ledgers documenting the costs for funeral expenses and certificates of death for individuals whose families used the company's services. The funeral expenses were maintained in ledgers while the death certificates are in partly printed formant. The funeral home was located in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. The records date from 1875 to 1945.
Most manuscripts collections at the Georgetown University Booth Family Center for Special Collections are open to researchers; however, restrictions may apply to some collections. Collections stored off site require a minimum of three days for retrieval. For use of all manuscripts collections, researchers are advised to contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections in advance of any visit.
Researchers are solely responsible for determining the copyright status of the materials being used, establishing who the copyright owner is, locating the copyright owner, and obtaining permission for intended use.
The James T. Clements' Sons Funeral Home Record was established in 1862. The documents in this collection date back to 1875. From its inception, the funeral home was located in the Georgetown neighorhood on Washington, D.C. In 1946, the DeVol Funeral Home purchased the Celements' Sons funeral home and kept its location in Georgetown. H. Don DeVol was the company's first director. The DeVol Funeral Home is still in business today.
4.75 Cubic Feet (4 boxes)
The collection is arranged in two series: Death Certificates and Account Ledgers.
Gift of DeVol Funeral Home.
The documents have been placed into archival boxes and folders.
Part of the Georgetown University Manuscripts Repository