Most manuscripts collections at the Georgetown University Booth Family Center for Special Collections are open to researchers; however, restrictions may apply to some collections. Collections stored off site require a minimum of three days for retrieval. For use of all manuscripts collections, researchers are advised to contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections in advance of any visit.
Yale Richmond, a specialist in intercultural communication, served 30 years in the U.S. Foreign Service with postings abroad as a cultural or information officer in Germany, Laos, Poland, Austria, and the Soviet Union. During the detente years of the 1970s, he was director of the Office of Soviet and East European Exchanges in the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Department of State. He retied in 1980 as a Deputy Assistant Director for Europe, U.S. Information Agency. From 1947 to 1949 he was the U.S. Military Government officer in Germany.
After retirement, he served three years as a Staff Consultant to the Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe (U.S. Congress), and eight years as a Senior Program Officer with the National Endowment for Democracy.
Mr. Richmond is a graduate of Boston College from which he received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1943; Syracuse University, Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, magna cum laude, in 1947; and Columbia University, Master of Arts in History (East European), in 1957.
In 2009 he was awarded The Commander's Cross, Order of Merit, of the Government of Poland, for his work in establishing the Fulbright Program in Poland in 1959.
Among his books are: From Nyet to Da: Understanding the Russians Understanding the Americans: A Handbook for Visitors to the United States Into Africa: A Guide to Sub-Saharan Culture and Diversity Practicing Public Diplomacy: A Cold War Odyssey Cultural Exchange and the Cold War: Raising the Iron Curtain From Da to Yes: Understanding the East Europeans U.S.-Soviet Cultural Exchanges, 1958-1986: Who Wins?
3.5 Linear Feet (4 boxes)
Part of the Georgetown University Manuscripts Repository