Certificates of U.S. Department of State consular appointments signed by various U.S. secretaries of state, as well as presidents of U.S. and other countries. Post and date of appointment noted. Arranged by document signatory.
Most manuscripts collections at the Georgetown University Booth Family Center for Special Collections are open to researchers; however, restrictions may apply to some collections. Collections stored off site require a minimum of three days for retrieval. For use of all manuscripts collections, researchers are advised to contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections in advance of any visit.
Researchers are solely responsible for determining the copyright status of the materials being used, establishing who the copyright owner is, locating the copyright owner, and obtaining permission for intended use.
Samuel Gale Ebling was born on December 11, 1893, in Bellefontaine, Ohio. He attended Walnut Hills High School in Cincinnati, and later spent part of his undergraduate years at the Universite de Nancy, France. He received his AB degree in 1920 from George Washington University. In 1922, he attended the Centro de Estudios Historicos at Madrid.
Ebling's association with the Federal government began in 1916 when he was a clerk with the Department of Agriculture and the War Trade Board. He spent the year 1918-1919 overseas in the U.S. Army. On his return, Ebling become a clerk at the Department of State (1919-1921). On May 23, 1921, he was appointed as clerk at the American consulate in Marseilles, followed by postings to various American consulates in Europe over the next three years.
On July 1, 1924, Ebling became a Foreign Service officer, remaining with the State Department until retirement in 1950. Consular appointments included Ceylon, Penang, Germany, Nicaragua, Africa, Iran, England and Wales.
2 Linear Feet (1 Hollinger drop front box (20x24")) ; 20x24"
Transferred from Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, Institute for the Study of Diplomacy, October 1982.
Part of the Georgetown University Manuscripts Repository