The William H. Jackson Papers comprise the personal papers of William H. Jackson (1901-1971), an early deputy director of the CIA and a special assistant to President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Extensive correspondence files are retained. Correspondents include President Eisenhower, Constantine FitzGibbon, Arthur Gardner, Gordon Gray, and Richard M. Nixon, among others. A run of letters regarding Wendell Willkie's 1940 presidential campaign is also preserved among the documents. Some typed manuscripts by Jackson, a few photographs of him, and a series of printed materials round out the collection.
Series 7 is restricted.
Most manuscripts collections at the Georgetown University Booth Family Center for Special Collections are open to researchers; however, restrictions may apply to some collections. Collections stored off site require a minimum of three days for retrieval. For use of all manuscripts collections, researchers are advised to contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections in advance of any visit.
William Harding Jackson (1901-1971) was born on March 25, 1901, in Nashville, Tennessee. He received a B.A. from Princeton University in 1924, and he earned an L.L.B. from Harvard University in 1928.
Early in his life, Jackson worked as a lawyer and investment banker in New York City. From 1942 to 1945, he served in the U.S. Army. In 1944, Jackson was a member of General Omar Bradley's intelligence staff.
On August 18, 1950, General Walter Bedell Smith, Central Intelligence Agency Director designate, appointed William H. Jackson as Deputy Director of the CIA. Jackson served in that capacity until August 3, 1951.
Jackson returned to law practice and private sector work. Next, from August 1951 to February 1956, he was a part-time assistant and senior consultant to the CIA director. Then, from 1956 to 1957, Jackson held the post of Special Assistant to President Dwight D. Eisenhower specializing on national security.
William H. Jackson died on September 28, 1971.
[Source: CIA Web Site.]
1.5 Linear Feet (4 boxes)
Part of the Georgetown University Manuscripts Repository