The Argentinean Jesuits Collection consists of eleven documents from early nineteenth century Buenos Aires, during the period of the return of the Society of Jesus and the South American liberation from Spain. The collection covers a variety of topics relating to the Society of Jesus in Buenos Aires. The first two documents from 1800 to 1802, relate to the Capuchin fathers in Buenos Aires. Several of the documents in the collection are petitions to the governing body of Buenos Aires, the Cabildo and the Soberano Congreso, asking for the return of the order. Two documents discuss Jesuit finances, including transportation costs for members from Europe to the Americas. The only letter in the collection discusses the Society's authority to ban distribution of immoral books. A document addresses the need for independence of the United Provinces.
Most manuscripts collections at the Georgetown University Booth Family Center for Special Collections are open to researchers; however, restrictions may apply to some collections. Collections stored off site require a minimum of three days for retrieval. For use of all manuscripts collections, researchers are advised to contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections in advance of any visit.
Researchers are solely responsible for determining the copyright status of the materials being used, establishing who the copyright owner is, locating the copyright owner, and obtaining permission for intended use.
In 1773, the Society of Jesus was banned by Pope Clement XIV. When it was reinstated in August 1814 by Pius VII's "Solicitudo Omnium Ecclesiarum," supporters of the old order had to petition their governments for the return of the Jesuits to their areas. From 1810 to 1817, Argentina was in the process of gaining its independence from Spain. The provisional government was the United Provinces of South America. Petitions to reinstate the Jesuit order were addressed to the Soberano Congreso of the United Provinces, which was based in Buenos Aires.
0.20 Linear Feet (1 Hollinger Slim Document Case)
Purchased from Dorothy Sloan, September 1990.
Part of the Georgetown University Manuscripts Repository