Skip to main content
Please contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections for assistance with accessing these materials.

Martin Berkofsky papers

 Collection
Identifier: GTM-GAMMS445
The Berkofsky Papers are composed of correspondence and legal documents from Twining Vs. Berkofsky, a legal case spanning from 1975 to 1977 over the copyright of Max Bruch's Duo Piano Concerto in G minor with Orchestra Opus 88a.

Dates

  • 1971-1978

Collection-level Access Restrictions

Most manuscripts collections at the Georgetown University Booth Family Center for Special Collections are open to researchers; however, restrictions may apply to some collections. Collections stored off site require a minimum of three days for retrieval. For use of all manuscripts collections, researchers are advised to contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections in advance of any visit.

Extent

0.5 Linear Feet (1 box )

Biographical note

Concert pianist, Martin Berkofsky (1943-), earned his bachelor's and master's at the Peabody Conservatory of Music in Baltimore in 1965 and 1967, respectively. In 1965 he received a Fulbright for study at the Vienna Academy of Music. As an instructor, Mr. Berkofsky has taught at the Titograd (Podgorica) Music Academy in Yugoslavia; the head of the advanced piano department of the State Conservatory of Music, Izmir, Turkey (1987-1989); and the director of the Martin Berkofsky Piano Master Classes since 1998. He has performed the works of Hovhaness, Bruch, Mendelsson, Lizst, Chopin, Rachmaninoff and Saint Saens with symphony orchestras and as a soloist worldwide. In 1995 Mr. Berkofsky founded the Cristofori Foundation in Casanova, Virginia.

Acquisition Information

Provenance: Gift of Martin Berkofsky, 2000 Status: Open Access. Processed by: Jodie Roussell, February 2003
Title
Martin Berkofsky papers
Status
in_progress
Author
Georgetown University Library Booth Family Center for Special Collections
Description rules
local practice
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Georgetown University Manuscripts Repository

Contact: