The collection contains 35 letters written by Andrew Adgate "Ad" Duer to his sweetheart, Margaret "Madge" Lewis Marshall, in the years 1871 and 1872. During these two years Duer was traveling and doing business for the Baltimore Hardware Company, John Duer and Sons, est. 1820. Most of the letters were written from Baltimore; other cities include New Orleans, Memphis and Davenport. Madge was living at Spring Dale, the Barton family home near Winchester, Virginia. She would sometimes visit for periods of time in Washington, DC and Baltimore. The two eventually married and had nine children. The collection also includes 5 letters written to Madge from people other than Duer.
ABBREVIATIONS: ALS - Autograph Letter Signed
Most manuscripts collections at the Georgetown University Booth Family Center for Special Collections are open to researchers; however, restrictions may apply to some collections. Collections stored off site require a minimum of three days for retrieval. For use of all manuscripts collections, researchers are advised to contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections in advance of any visit.
Researchers are solely responsible for determining the copyright status of the materials being used, establishing who the copyright owner is, locating the copyright owner, and obtaining permission for intended use.
Andrew Adgate "Ad" Duer was born December 3, 1846. He was the son of John Duer and Henrietta Dorsey Adgate. He resided in Baltimore and worked as a representative for the Hardware Company John Duer and Sons. He married Margaret "Madge" Lewis Marshall, and they had nine children: Henrietta, Francis, Isabelle, Madge, Agnes, John, Thomas, Adgate and Dudley. He died in 1892 at the age of 46. Margaret "Madge" Lewis Marshall was born in 1850. She was the daughter of Col. Thomas Marshall and Maria Barton, and the great granddaughter of Chief Justice John J. Marshall (b.1755). She married A. Adgate Duer, and together they had nine children. She died in c1939.
0.20 Linear Feet (1 Hollinger Slim Document Case)
Part of the Georgetown University Manuscripts Repository