The Leroy-Warre Collection 2 is composed primarily of correspondence between Janetta Warre and Pierre Leroy S.J. The remainder of the Collection is composed of letters to Janetta Warre and others about the Teilhard de Chardin Centenary Exhibit in London and Edinburgh, as well as many manuscripts and printed items related to the lives and work of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin S.J. and Pierre Leroy S.J.
The Leroy-Warre Collection 2 is part of a group of collections at Georgetown University related to the work and thought of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. Original documents are preserved in the Lucile Swan Papers, the Pierre Leroy S.J. Papers, the Lukas-Teilhard de Chardin Collection, the Barbour Collection, the Granger-Teilhard de Chardin Collection, the Raphael-Teilhard Collection, the Robert T. Francoeur Papers, the Teilhard Cosme Collection, the Teilhard-de Margerie Collection, the Teilhard Houdin Collection, the Constantin Kluge-Pierre Leroy collection, the American Teilhard Association Library and the Leroy-Warre Collection 1.
Most manuscripts collections at the Georgetown University Booth Family Center for Special Collections are open to researchers; however, restrictions may apply to some collections. Collections stored off site require a minimum of three days for retrieval. For use of all manuscripts collections, researchers are advised to contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections in advance of any visit.
Janetta Warre was born January 26, 1922 in London. She grew up in Leicester and Scotland, as well as living in India from 1946 to 1950, and after returning to England married Colonel Anthony Warre in 1955. Together they had one daughter. Her interest in Teilhard de Chardin's work began after the English translations were published in the mid 1960's. In the 1970's Mrs. Warre met Pierre Leroy, S.J.. He later provided assistance in bringing the Teilhard de Chardin Centenary Exhibit from Paris and Brussels to London and Edinburgh in 1983. With Mrs. Warre's planning, Pierre Leroy later lectured at Oxford University and Georgetown University (1987) on Teilhard de Chardin's philosophy.
Pierre Leroy, biologist and Jesuit, was born in La Madeline in northern France on August 24, 1900. He completed his education at the Jesuit College in Lille and the Faculte des Sciences in Nancy, later working at the Museum of Natural History in Tianjin, China in the 1930's and from 1940-1946 as the Director of the Geobiological Institute in Beijing, where one of his colleagues was Pierre Teilhard de Chardin S.J. After returning to Europe in 1946, Pierre Leroy served as a researcher at the College de France and director of the Gif-sur-Yvette laboratory until 1970 and 1971 respectively. In addition to his research, Pierre Leroy wrote extensively on Pierre Teilhard de Chardin and edited their correspondence for publication in the 1976 French monograph, Lettres familieres de Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, mon ami: les dernieres anness, 1948-1955, which was followed by an American translation in 1980.
Paleontologist and philosopher Pierre Teilhard de Chardin was born May 1, 1881 at the Chateau de Sarcenat at Orcines. At eighteen he entered the Jesuit novitiate at Aix-en-Provence, continuing his education in Laval, Jersey and Hastings in Sussex until his ordination in 1911. After becoming a member of the Society of Jesus, he pursued paleontological studies under Marcellin Boule in Paris, devoting himself full-time to this work by 1919. From 1923 to 1946 he spent much of his time living in Tianjin and Beijing China, conducting geological and paleontological exploration and analysis, which included being a member of the team that discovered the Peiking Man (Sinanthropos) in 1928. Upon returning to the West in 1946, Teilhard de Chardin continued to write both scientific and philosophical works, entering into one of the most productive periods of his life. Until his death on April 10, 1955 he continued to refine his thoughts on the unity of science, philosophy and religion, while writing, traveling and lecturing when possible.
1.75 Linear Feet (4 boxes)
Part of the Georgetown University Manuscripts Repository