The Robert Theodore Curran Papers 1 document the foreign service career of Robert Theodore Curran. Containing correspondence, printed materials, photographs, and other materials, the Curran Papers provide a glipse into the life of a career foreign service officer. Material from Curran's time in Germany, Yemen, Mexico, and Morocco is retained. Correspondents include Congressmen Robert P. Griffin and Guy Vander Jagt, Ambassador Joseph Verner Read, and Philip E. Mosely. While the documents span the dates 1955-1990, most of the material dates between 1955 and 1984. The collection is contained in 4 archival boxes (6.0 linear feet).
Most manuscripts collections at the Georgetown University Booth Family Center for Special Collections are open to researchers; however, restrictions may apply to some collections. Collections stored off site require a minimum of three days for retrieval. For use of all manuscripts collections, researchers are advised to contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections in advance of any visit.
Robert Theodore Curran was born in New York, and he grew up in New York City and Philadelphia. He attended the George School in Pennsylvania and then graduated from Haverford College in 1953. Curran also received a Master of Arts degree from Columbia University in 1956. Robert Theodore Curran had a distinguished foreign service career. Early in his career, he served as the executive director of the German-American Institute in Tubingen, Germany. Curran worked in Yemen in the early 1960s. Later, he served in Mexico City. In time, Curran became Deputy Chief of Mission in Kabul, Afghanistan and again in Rabat, Morocco. In 1984, he retired from the foreign service with the rank of career minister. After his foreign service career, Curran served as president of Springfield College in Illinois. In addition, he was the executive director of the American Institute for Foreign Study Foundation. (Sources: State Department Biographical Register 1972 and Robert Theodore Curran Papers.)
6 Linear Feet (4 boxes)
Part of the Georgetown University Manuscripts Repository