Skip to main content
Please contact the Booth Family Center for Special Collections for assistance with accessing these materials.

Donations book listing major donations to Georgetown University during this period [50.6], 1891-1898

 File — Box: 10, Folder: 12

Scope and Contents

Includes notes about donations by:: by Charles H. Wills (to the collection of Maryland Catholic Historical Relics), August 1891; Anna E. Smith (books), June-August 1891 and October 1891; Father Patrick F. Healy (books), August 1891; John Vinton Dahlgren and Elizabeth Drexel Dahlgren (promise of a memorial chapel to cost $10,000), August 1891; Sisters of the Academy of the Visitation, Georgetown, D.C. (theological and ascetic works formerly belonging to the Rev. Pierre-Joseph de Clorivière), August 1891; Fannie Fennell (Pious Guide published in Georgetown in 1815 by Joseph Milligan), September 1891; Richard S. Hill (collection of coins and paper money), September 1891; John Vinton Dahlgren and Elizabeth Drexel Dahglren (casket of Russian silver to contain the Charter of the University), September 1891; anonymous donation through Father Patrick F. Healy ($800 to acquire a new instrument for the Observatory and to build an addition to it), October 1891; John Vinton Dahlgren and Elizabeth Drexel Dahlgren (Memorial Chapel to be erected at the first bend in the Walks), October 1891; Cecilia and Margaret Tully of Boston (coins for the museum), October 1891; Maria Coleman, through Father Patrick Healy ($500 for the Observatory), November 1891; Very Rev. John W. Murphy, Vicar General , St. Dominic’s Church, Portland, Maine (original manuscript diary of Bishop England), December 1891; W. Warrington Evans (381 books and additional pamphlets to Riggs Library), December 1891; Elizabeth Drexel Dahlgren (modern Egyptian necklace), December 1891; Johan G. Agar (present in connection with his wedding), February 1892; Maria Coleman (for the improvement of the Coleman Museum and for any purpose preferred in the Academic Department), February 1892; Father Patrick F. Healy (for the Observatory), March 1892; John Laydale (200 mineral rocks of the District of Columbia), April 1892; subscriptions for the Shea Library, 1892; Commander D.V. Mullan, U.S.N. (bned quilt made from the bark of the mulberry tree, November 1891; Lt. Charles M. McCarteney (fossil fish from Syria), May 1892; Rev. Thomas Maginnis, Massachusetts (coins for the museum), May 1892; Thomas Antisell (100 volumes of chemical works), November 1891; Father John A. Morgan, Rector of Loyola College, Baltimore (“Ancient iron cross taken by Fr. Mansell from St. Mary’s. Md to the Bohemia, at the opening of the first Catholic missions on the Eastern Shore of Md, and supposed to have been brought originally from England by the first Catholic settlers”), September 2, 1893; Rev. M.A. Noel, S.J., Superior, Whitemarsh, Md., letters of Bishop John N. Neuman and a relic of St. Peter; D. Marcus Dyer (cup turned from cherry tree at Mount Vernon), September 18, 1892; Rev. W. H. Judge, S.J. (plants from Alaska), November 18, 1892; Sister Mary Lenard Neale (Missal, Paris, 1658); Emma Isabel Shea (collection of letters of Fr. John Mosley, S.J. from the Eastern Shore of Maryland), December 6, 1892; Lucy W. Drexel (gold vestments for Memorial Chapel of the Sacred Heart), December 1, 1892; A Friend ($125 for alterations in the Observatory’s floating zenith telescope), December 20, 1892; Executors of the late E. Carroll Morgan (oil portrait of Dr. James E. Morgan), February 16, 1893; J.J. Stafford (Herbarium of 2000 plants, fossils and minerals), January 1, 1893; Mrs. John Vinto Dahlgren (silver casket to contain the charter of Georgetown University), April 9, 1893; Sophie S. Shea (her husband, John Gilmary Shea’s collection of autographs), September 1893; Mrs. Dennis Murphy, Washington, D.C. (portrait of Father Barbelin), December 12, 1893; Thomasina Antisell (oil portrait of her Father Thomas Antisell), January 16, 1894; Anna E. Smith (oil painting of St. Agatha copied from Guercino), January 16, 1894; John C. Thompson (oil painting of Father Francis Neale), February 8, 1894; John S. Lascombe, Washington, D.C. (bathroom for the Jesuit Community lined and paved with encaustic tiles), September 7, 1894; Mrs. John Vinton Dahlgren (three large stained glass windows, set of stations in relief, for the Dahlgren Chapel of the Sacred Heart), October 17, 1894; Cecelia Coleman May (set of portraits in oil of Jesuit Cardinals), September 1894; Judge Pacificus Ord (oil portrait of James Ord copied by Frank B. Mayer from the original in the possession of Judge P. Ord by William Garle Brown), October 27, 1894; Mrs. John Vinton Dahalgren (3 large stained glass windows for Dahlgren Chapel, over front door and in two transepts), December 1894; E. Francis Riggs for Riggs Library (card catalogues of oak, railings, Librarian’s desk, lift for books), December 1894; Sophie Shea (large daguerreotype portrait of Father De Smet), December 1894; Society of Alumni ($850 toward completion of Gaston alumni Hall). January and February 1895; Mrs. Robert S. Chilton (oil portrait of Robert Walsh and photograph of her brother John Carroll Brent - this entry includes a further note that Mrs. Chilton, along with Miss Emily C. Brent and other heirs, gave the College “the original portrait of Mrs. Jane Darnall Carroll, mother of Archbishop Carroll" [Eleanor Darnall?]; Judge P. Ord (oil portrait of John Carroll by Gilbert Stuart which Judge Ord had purchased from Mrs. George R. Goldsborough of Easton, Maryland ), May 18, 1895; Rev. Henry Cutler, Pastor of St. Mary’s Church, Alexandria, VA (oil painting of Francis Neale, S.J.), July 25, 1895; Mary Reid, Superintendent of the College Laundry ($40 for the purchase of a vestment for the Domestic Chapel), August 2, 1895; Mrs. Henry Loughborough, Tennallytown, D.C. (Confederate bond and Confederate stamp), November 18, 1895; Hospital subscriptions; contributions to the athletic field, 1896; Mrs. A. H. Loughborough (oil painting of Alexander H. Loughborough), May 25, 1897; Charles B. Kenny, Pittsburgh, PA. (oil painting of himself by A. L. Dolbey), July 25, 1897; Rev. Joseph A. Foley, St. Paul’s Church, Washington, D.C. (chalice used by Rev. Samuel Barber on the Eastern Shore of Maryland), November 18, 1897.


  • 1891-1898


From the Collection: 5.75 Linear Feet (12 boxes)

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English

Repository Details

Part of the Georgetown University Archives Repository

Lauinger Library, 5th Floor
37th and O Streets, N.W.
Washington DC 20057