This collection was gathered from material that had been dispersed in various locations in the Georgetown University Archives. Material is arranged by geographic location and then by university, college, seminary, manor, mission, or novitiate. Members of the Maryland Province Society of Jesus operated a number of parishes, some of which later were transferred to the secular clergy. These account for the numerous geographical locations. In addition, certain locations of major Jesuit installations figure more frequently, and those tend to include larger quantities of papers and archival material. It should be noted that the designation of place names vary and are referred to by geographical name (Port Tobacco or Bel Alton) or by formal name (St. Thomas Manor). It is also important to note that the Jesuit organization in what is now the northeastern part of the United States was known first as a mission (1634-1833), becoming Maryland Province from 1833to 1880; then Maryland-New York Province from 1880 to circa 1975, before being reduced in geographical scope when the New York area was separated from it. For consistency through these administrative evolutions and varying titles, the collection is called simply the Maryland Province Collection (MD PROV COLL), and is divided into series which correspond to geographical locations. Geographically related smaller missions are grouped into a series. For a map and brief organizational history, see "Atlas Geographicus Societatis Jesu" (Paris, 1900), "Provincia Marylandiae-Neo Eboracensis."